[AG-TECH] How to automatically start Venue Server on Fedora Core 4

Todd Zimmerman toddz at sfu.ca
Mon Feb 6 12:29:45 CST 2006

Hey Sebastian,

I've attached my hacked together init.d script for starting the venue server on a RHEL box.

Note: the daemonAG() function in the script was stolen the daemon() function in
/etc/init.d/functions.  It is verbatim except for the actual line that launches the program, which I
changed to this:

su -s /bin/bash - $user -c "$* &" >/dev/null 2>&1

which launches the VenueServer process in a shell of a defined user.

As you'll see in the start() function in the script, I run under a user called 'ag' - you can change
that to whatever you need.

This script was kinda just thrown together with bits from other init scripts, so I'm sure it could
be pared down a bit - but it has worked for me for a couple of years now.

Todd