[AG-TECH] AG2 and AG3 venue servers on one machine

Thomas D. Uram turam at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Aug 7 13:07:58 CDT 2006

A little clarification:

- the --port argument only specifies the main port, not the related
(event,data,text) ports (unfrotunately)
- the event,data,text ports are specified only in the cfg file
- text does _not_ use 9004 or similar in AG3; instead, textHost and
textPort point at a
Jabber server (using jabber.mcs.anl.gov:5223 by default)

Derek:

I'd suggest you modify the AG3 venueserver.cfg to specify:

textHost = jabber.mcs.anl.gov
textPort = 5223

and then try to start it.  If you want to use your own jabber server
instead,
you would modify textHost accordingly.

Tom

On 8/7/06 12:58 PM, Derek Piper wrote:

>     Yes, I originally had my 2.x server at port 8000, apparently the
> default. So.. now we have two incompatible venue servers that all want
> to be the same default? That was a smart idea :>
>     Since I already have 2.x installations around that use the one on
> port 8000 as a default/home venue, I thought I'd just add AG3 on as
> port 9000. Now, I guess it's possible to try it the other way and just
> run to all my installations and change them. In trying to run the AG2
> venue server on port 900x, it doesn't start its text chat thing on
> port 9004 either. Nothing's running on that port. And, just like it
> was with AG3, a venue client can't connect to it.
>     I have the ports specified in VenueServer.cfg. All, but the
> 'textPort' one seem to work. The text chat thing isn't even trying to
> bind to port 8004 either, so I'm not sure what's up with that. Do I
> have to redo my venue server from scratch if I change the port?
>     I was specifying the text, event and date ports for AG3, yes. I
> had them set to the 900x equivalants and a venue client couldn't
> connect to it.
>
>     Derek
>
> Michael Miller wrote:
>> Derek,
>>
>> I run AG2 on port 900x and AG3 on 800x.  I specify the text, event
>> and data ports for AG2 in VenueServer.cfg and everything seems to
>> work fine.  Are you specifying the text,event and data ports for AG3?
>>
>> myk
>>
>> Derek Piper wrote:
>>

>>>     Hi,
>>>
>>>     I've installed AG2 and AG3 venue servers on one machine, with
>>> the idea of having them co-exist but running on different ports. I
>>> noticed that even if I specify a port of 9000 to the AG3 venue
>>> server, it still wants to listen on 8002 etc. That seems a bit
>>> unhelpful. I've been able to get both of them running by having a
>>> VenueServer.cfg file but, but the AG3 VenueServer isn't listening