[AG-TECH] ANL bridge machine and port info?

Thomas D. Uram turam at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Oct 27 10:10:33 CDT 2005

Hi Derek:

Comments inline...

On 10/27/05 8:55 AM, Derek Piper wrote:

>     Hi Tom,
>
>     I tried playing with AGConnector, does it have to go to just your
> server there? Is it possible to run a server on a local machine and have
> other clients connect to it? Like the local bridge, but simpler?

The default server is the one here at ANL (umtp.mcs.anl.gov).  AGConnector
does allow you to specify which server to use, so yes:  if you have a
UMTP server running, you can specify it in AGConnector and it will be
used instead.  In fact, in the future I'd like to see umtp servers proliferate
and be discoverable.

I also
> have a question about how it works too, in trying to test it on two
> machines that are on a LAN (and so have full visibility of each other
> wrt multicast) I didn't notice any difference - should I? ..

UMTP is a solution for people who have no multicast, and it actually
shuts down if it receives a packet from itself over multicast (see
the ietf UMTP draft).

  I'm trying