[AG-TECH] ClearOne AccuMic PC Desktop Echo-Cancelling Microphone

Christoph Willing willing at itee.uq.edu.au
Tue Nov 29 17:42:37 CST 2005

On 30/11/2005, at 7:19 AM, R. P. Channing ["Rick"] Rodgers wrote:

> Dear AG Colleagues,
>
> I am working with some collaborators to set up a set of AG nodes.
> At least one
> of these will be in a small conference room.  They are
> understandably hesitant
> to invest in a $3000 Clearone (formerly Gentner) echo canceller
> (XAP400),
> and have pointed out an interesting echo-cancelling microphone, the
> ClearOne
> "AccuMic PC Desktop Echo-Cancelling Microphone", viewable at:
>
>    http://mcsnetzone.com/clmifa.html
>
> I'd feel happier about advising the purchase of this $600 unit if I
> could talk
> to one or more folks who have used it successfully in an AG setup.
> Does anyone
> out there have experience with this unit?  If so, I'd be delighted
> to hear
> from you...

Rick,

I've used a few of these Accumics in different AG nodes in smaller
rooms (e.g. office, small computer lab) and found them to be
excellent in that sort of environment. The room size and distance to
the speaker(s) are important though - I was once on the receiving end
of an Accumic being used in a largish auditorium and it was a disaster.

chris

Christoph Willing                           +61 7 3365 8350
QPSF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland