[AG-TECH] AccessGrid 3: What information is available

Steve Smith ssmith at vislab.usyd.edu.au
Mon May 23 19:20:42 CDT 2005

> Personally I don't see that as a big deal.  Potentially that also offers the
> ability to lose a connection (let's say your broadband connection died, and on
> reconnect gave you a different IP) and reconnect (since your client still has
> the endpoint reference to your WS-Resource you can just connect back in to the
> login you had before with all the state preserved, without the server even
> noticing that you've disappeared.  The client could handle that so you'd not
> have to do *anything* to reconnect exactly where you left off.

Yes, that's potentially useful in some applications.

> But even with TCP, if you don't send traffic down a connection you don't know
> it's disconnected (unless the client was able to close the socket before
> bailing out).  So a buggy client can still shaft you can't it?

No.  When the client dies, is killed, crashes, whatever, the
operating-system cleans up and sends a FIN to the server.  The only time
this will happen is when the OS crashes or the machine fails.  Even then
the gateway will return 'host unreachable' when it's ARP packets
timeout.

Cheers,
Steve