[AG-TECH] Use AG on LAN

Andrew Rowley Andrew.Rowley at manchester.ac.uk
Fri Mar 4 03:34:30 CST 2005

Hi,

I am assuming that you want to test without connecting to a real network
i.e. the only network in this test will be the cross-over cable.  In this
case, you will probably not be able to connect to a venue server and
therefore you will also need to run this on one of your machines.

Multicast will probably not work on this private network as there is no
router to configure.  Multicast relies on routers to set up the multicast
using IGMP.  You will have broadcast but not multicast.  If you do not know
if you have multicast set up on your local router, you probably don't.

To communicate with multicast, you do not change your machines' IP
addresses.  Instead you just specify a multicast address to send to and
receive from.  This should send messages to your router to tell it that you
want to join the multicast channel.  Therefore, just specify some multicast
IP addresses in the venue management tool.

Andrew :)

Access Grid Support Centre,
RSS Group,
Manchester Computing,