[AG-TECH] Use AG on LAN

Ivan R. Judson judson at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Mar 4 06:14:18 CST 2005

Hi,

A couple of points of clarification:

1) You said, two machines with the following:

Machine A: (windows xp)
	- display

Machine B: (fedora core)
	- audio
	- video producer

	- venue server

2) local network (via cross-over cable)

This is correct, right?

Given this setup, I think you can safely ignore most of the issues Andrew
has mentioned, because you have a venue server, and in fact, multicast on a
local segment *always* works -- that's the trick of rendezvous, it's only
when you go off the local network that you run into the issues Andrew
pointed out.

I think the biggest problem I see is that you won't be able to leverage any
of the common infrastructure.

- You'll need to request certificates, retrieve them and then install them
mostly manually.
- You don't have to worry about the addressing issue, you should read a
multicast primer, there are a lot of issues that *can* be a problem, but
most of the time none *are* a problem in a trivial configuration. You can
check this out: http://www.multicasttech.com/multicast_faq.html, but you
probably want a less technical introduction.
- You'll need your machines time synched, and if you want to use hostnames
instead of IP addresses, you'll them both to know about each other (you
don't have outside DNS in your setup).

If you run into more problems, please do send email, someone is always
around to help out :-)

--Ivan