[AG-TECH] Interesting use of VoIP

Jeremy Mann jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Mon Jun 27 15:28:10 CDT 2005

Lee Margetts said:
> That is very interesting.  Personally, I (and my skype friends) abandoned
> using a PIG and started using SKYPE around a year ago.  It has easy
> conference calling, VoIP to standard telephone, easy file sharing and easy
> text chat.  It works 99.99% of the time and only takes 15-20 seconds to
> install from the web!  Even my granny uses it.  No messing about with
> multicast, bridges, the latest "in vogue"  MUD package, IP numbers, ports,
> AG2 etc. etc.
>
> If there's video4skype too, I'm even less likely to return to AG.

www.video4skype.com

The only problem I can see with Skype are the Conference Calls. If a user
who doesn't have the video plugin connects to the conference, all video's
stop going back to audio. And there is a limit of only 4 connects.

But, I'm still sold at using this as a backup solution for network problems.

--
Jeremy Mann
jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu

Bioinformatics Core Facility