[AG-TECH] Mac OSX AGTk 2.3 with Media Tools Release

Eric Olson eolson at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Feb 8 11:46:46 CST 2005

Hi Marius,

> Do you have any ideas on what microphones will work with a G5? I was
> hoping to use the built-in microphone in my iSight.

Maybe someone on the list with more audio expertise could give a better
answer.  I expect anything that can give a line-level signal would work.
We were able to test successfully with the line-in from another computer,
and I also expect microphones that require phantom power to work (the
additional phantom power supply would also be required), although those
may be more expensive.

> In the meantime (until I order an iSight for campus - i.e. it works)
> I'm using an older iBot Firewire camera.

I tracked down an iBot around here, and it does work (i don't know if you
meant you had it working with the AG already).  So if you're happy with
your iBot, buying an iSight won't make much difference.  I wasn't
able to get USB cameras to work on the mac here, but perhaps firewire
cameras or certain models are more likely to work.  I'll make a note on
the download page that other cameras may work.

> On an other front: My machine is multihomed. The AG software picks out
> the wrong subnet (the one that is unicast rather than multicast). How
> do i tell the AG software which to use?

For the communication between AG toolkit components, setting the
environment variable GLOBUS_HOSTNAME to an ip address tells the toolkit
which host or ip to use. -- But that doesn't affect the audio or video
services, which is what you care about.  I'm not aware of a way to set
this for the media tools, but you may have some luck looking the routing
table metrics on your machine -- there are others on this mailing list
that are more knowledgeable about this and could give you a better
answer.

Eric