[AG-TECH] Dynamic IP Address allocation problems

David Wallom david.wallom at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Feb 1 10:01:13 CST 2005

Hello,

Currently there are a significant number of users around the community that
are using InSORS and AG1/PIG systems that use static multicast
address->venue mappings. My question is that with the dynamic address
mapping that is being suggested, are Argonne going to use an address range
that is different to that already registered with static venues?

The problem that I can see is that we use our system for teaching etc. If
one of these sessions was happening and a random user of AG 2 just appeared
in the venue all confidence in the Access Grid idea could be destroyed. In
that scenario also who would have the right to use the venue? As far as we
would be concerned the AG 2 user would have to go away and find another
venue as that IP address was already in use.

David

Dr. David Wallom

Operations Director

Centre for e-Research Bristol