[AG-TECH] New StaticBridge Service Announcement

Andrew Rowley Andrew.Rowley at manchester.ac.uk
Tue Feb 1 09:54:55 CST 2005

(Apologies for cross posting)

I am pleased to announce a new experimental multicast-unicast bridge service
(operated on a "best efforts" basis) offered by the Access Grid Support
Centre.  This is usable by AG nodes, PIGs or desktop AG without the need to
register with us.  It should be stressed that this is being offered on an
experimental basis, as only basic testing has been done on this service.
The service is available here:
http://www.agsc.ja.net/services/staticbridge.php

This is similar to the previously introduced rcBridge service in that it
allows users to set up a bridge on our server using a web interface.  In the
same way as rcBridge, this must be set up from the machine that is to use
the bridge.

There are two main differences between this service and the rcBridge.
Firstly, and most importantly, the ports that are used by this bridge are
always the same, regardless of the virtual venue.  This is particularly
useful for people situated behind a firewall, as they will only be required
to open up four ports for audio and video when using this bridge with any
venue.

You don't need to contact us before you use the bridge, but if you need help
or have any problems, then feel free to let us know - our contact details
are here: http://www.agsc.ja.net/contactUs/details.php
It would also be great to know if you are using the bridge successfully and
what you think of this service.

I look forward to the feedback on this service.

Andrew G D Rowley :)

Access Grid Support Centre,
RSS Group,
Manchester Computing,