[AG-TECH] Dynamic IP Address allocation problems

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Tue Feb 1 13:17:29 CST 2005

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, David Wallom wrote:

> Currently there are a significant number of users around the community that
> are using InSORS and AG1/PIG systems that use static multicast
> address->venue mappings. My question is that with the dynamic address
> mapping that is being suggested, are Argonne going to use an address range
> that is different to that already registered with static venues?

You would hope so.  I assume this is so that AG can support more rooms than
there are [reasonably] available addresses.

> The problem that I can see is that we use our system for teaching etc. If
> one of these sessions was happening and a random user of AG 2 just appeared
> in the venue all confidence in the Access Grid idea could be destroyed. In
> that scenario also who would have the right to use the venue? As far as we
> would be concerned the AG 2 user would have to go away and find another
> venue as that IP address was already in use.

Is the solution not to simply encrypt the session?  You don't *own* that
multicast address surely?

jh

--
"It's better to send middle aged men abroad to bore each other than send young
  men abroad to kill each other."                     -- Robin Cook