[AG-TECH] Operator-Less AGs

Tom Coffin tcoffin at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Apr 22 11:30:40 CDT 2005

The integrated chat tool can be useful. It is especially
handy if node operators do not use other tools. I had to
use it just the other day. But, the primary reason I prefer a
separate application and machine for backchannel communications
is that it is independent from the multicast networking
requirements that the venue client operates in and this
almost ensures communications with the other node ops
should something go wrong with my ag node.

For me, collaborating (as a meeting participant or node
operator) remotely over cyberinfrasturture involves being
able to easily use multiple applications. Actually, this is simply
how I funciton day to day as I am locked into cyberspace.
I use email, web browsers, file management interfaces (explorer),
vnc, dreamweaver, MS office products (word powerpoint excel),
adobe and several different chatting tools (aim, yahoo, jabber).
I find it much easier to manage a node using multiple applications from
my personal laptop than that which is handling the video/audio
display or capture.

With these tools and the integrated A/V system at NCSA ACCESS, we
can essentially operate any size AG node from a remote location.

Tom Coffin .......................... tcoffin at ncsa.uiuc.edu

    NCSA-ACCESS                         cel: 703-477-5948
    901 North Stuart Street, #800       tel: 703-248-0105
    Arlington, Virginia 22203           fax: 703-248-0100