[AG-TECH] Operator-Less AGs

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Fri Apr 22 10:43:24 CDT 2005

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, John I Quebedeaux Jr wrote:

> Lately I've had sites that were operator-less (user knew enough or didn't
> know enough but was running it anyway) and as a result the users were not in
> Jabber or relied on the Venue Client Chat (which will sometimes lag or not
> respond occasionally or even worse, we're in different venues or something
> wrong so we can't chat anyway during troubleshooting).
>
> If you are setting up your users to run your AG themselves, please get them
> setup with Jabber and impress on them they should use it to communicate about
> the setup. Not to mention that they should show up early to do that audio
> check, etc. PRIOR to the meeting.
>
> So, I'm getting more and more requests by users that want to run the AG at
> their desktop or run it themselves. I'll be curious to know if this is the
> case at other sites.

I'd really like to see the opposite...  I do use the AG2 Venue Client Chat.
It lags, and doesn't respond sometimes.  And nobody uses it 'cos they just sod
off into Jabber.  So it is often just me talking to myself...  What's the
point of having an integrated tool if nobody uses it?

AccessGrid users shouldn't have to start two applications, and it creates the
problem of which room within Jabber you should be meeting in.

I think more consideration needs to be put in by the users as to what we all
expect from side-band communications with AccessGrid.

jh

--
"I think it is well also for the man in the street to realise that there is no
  power on earth that will protect him from being bombed.  Whatever people may