[AG-TECH] Operator-Less AGs

Brian Corrie bcorrie at sfu.ca
Fri Apr 22 11:41:48 CDT 2005

I agree with John on this... I am not convinced having an integrated
chat is the answer either. To me, a text chat can play two fundamentally
different roles, the role of a back-channel communication for the techs,
but also the role of an out-of-band communication channel for meeting
participants (the leaning over and whispering to your colleague idea).

Both are important and both should be supported. Thus an integrated tool
doesn't really work. What is really required is the capability to use
text chat as a service/shared app that is attached to a venue. If a
meeting requires a text back channel then you add a shared app for that
purpose. Then the techs can use it. If the meeting requires an
out-of-band text chat for ad-hoc communication then that can be
supported by a second shared app for that purpose.

Note that this doesn't quite work in the current AG model in the sense
that these text chats don't quite work like a shared app, and they don't
quite work like a node service. You want it associated with a venue
(some meetings will require one or more and some won't). You also want
it associated with certain devices (like a node service). When the tech
starts up the shared app, they want to have it appear on the tech
control machine, not the display machine...

Also, you want the ability for meeting attendees to have personal access
to the non-tech text chat. That means that people in the meeting would
be connecting to the venue from their laptops, probably not having any
services on their laptop node other than the text chat.

What I find fascinating about this is that the AG model can support
almost everything above. Yes, this would not be the standard way of
using it but in my opinion this is the AG's strength. I can't think of
another collaboration technology that could come close to being able to
support something like this in terms of functionality and the ability to
be extended in this manner.

All we need to do is have someone create a shared app that integrates
text chat into the AG. Any takers on someone writing a Jabber wrapper
for the AG 8-)  You get what you pay for!!!

I am not sure what the Argonne folks are doing along these lines... I
know they were looking at Jabber integration.

Cheers,

Brian