[AG-TECH] Possible enhancement for Toolkit

Andrew Rowley Andrew.Rowley at man.ac.uk
Fri Sep 10 04:37:01 CDT 2004

Hi,

I have noticed problems with multiple adaptors in XP also - this has also
appeared on the mailing list some time ago.

With multiple network adaptors, Windows XP may or may not choose the correct
adaptor for sending and receiving multicast packets - if you are lucky it
does!  If like me you are not lucky, you must disable all but the adaptor
that you want to use, otherwise you may not be able to use multicast
correctly.  Microsoft have said that this is a bug in Windows XP and it is
fixed with service pack 2 which I for one am not installing yet due to other
problems with it.  It is also related to the fact that programs do not allow
you to select the adaptor to bind to and therefore bind to the default
adaptor which may or may not be the correct adaptor, depending on how lucky
you are.

So it is a valid point that you should be able to select the adaptor which
AGTk binds to rather than leaving it up to luck, or being forced to disable
all the other adaptors.  The main problem I can see with this is that you
need to tell VIC and RAT to use this adaptor too - does anyone know how this
can be done?

(Note see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=827536 for details of the
multicast problems in Windows XP)

Andrew :)