[AG-TECH] Possible enhancement for Toolkit

Ivan R. Judson judson at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Sep 9 21:57:37 CDT 2004

One other thing to mention; the reason we don't support win2k is that we
don't run win2k anywhere. We're writing the toolkit in a way that we hope
ensures no backward problems, but we are also leveraging the nice new
features of the latest OS's.

At some point it's likely we'll introduce a feature or bug that will disable
the "accidental" backward compatibility that exists for platforms like win2k
(this already happens on linux where old os's, ahem, RH7.X don't have python
2.3.3+).

We're more than happy for someone else to tinker with this and see if
there's a reasonable solution, but we're not going to start adding support
for legacy OS's; not unless someone wants to start paying us to do that --
we've got enough interesting research moving forward.

Cheers,

--Ivan