[AG-TECH] Possible enhancement for Toolkit

Ivan R. Judson judson at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Sep 9 21:00:41 CDT 2004

The toolkit is already handling the case where the machine has multiple
network adapters; indeed almost all laptops have both wireless and wired
connections, mine which I use for development has the following:

NetWork Card(s):           3 NIC(s) Installed.
                           [01]: Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
                                 Connection Name: Fast Ethernet
                           [02]: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2100 LAN 3B Mini PCI
Adapter
                                 Connection Name: Wireless Network
Connection
                                 DHCP Enabled:    Yes
                                 DHCP Server:     10.0.1.65
                                 IP address(es)
                                 [01]: 10.0.1.17
                           [03]: Cisco Systems VPN Adapter
                                 Connection Name: MCS VPN
                                 DHCP Enabled:    No
                                 IP address(es)
                                 [01]: 140.221.18.114

Plus, add the vmware interfaces, MS's fancy ipv4/ipv6 tunnels, teredo, et al
and you'll find that on XP the toolkit is doing quite a good job of working
in the face of *many* network interfaces ;)

Here's my development desktop net interfaces:

NetWork Card(s):           4 NIC(s) Installed.
                           [01]: 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet
Controller
(3C905C-TX Compatible)
                                 Connection Name: Wired
                                 DHCP Enabled:    Yes
                                 DHCP Server:     140.221.11.6
                                 IP address(es)
                                 [01]: 140.221.34.71
                           [02]: VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet1
                                 Connection Name: VMware Network Adapter
VMnet1
                           [03]: VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet8
                                 Connection Name: VMware Network Adapter
VMnet8
                           [04]: 1394 Net Adapter
                                 Connection Name: 1394 Connection 2
                                 DHCP Enabled:    Yes
                                 DHCP Server:     N/A
                                 IP address(es)

What kind of a feature are you looking for? What's the use case you're
experiencing? What problem are you trying to solve?

--Ivan