[globus-python] RE: [AG-TECH] Building failure - strange behaviour with pyGlobus

Keith Jackson krjackson at lbl.gov
Fri Sep 3 11:42:05 CDT 2004

>> So I looked closer at the error, this globus-makefile-header.
>> I have found a very strange behaviour : when I change the
>> line 230 in /usr/lib/globus/bin/globus-makefile-header the
>> behaviour of the build process is deeply affected even if a
>> just add the word "TEST" in the output string. In brief, I
>> just change the line 230 from :
>> 	printf("No packages were found that matched your
>> query!\n"); to :
>> 	printf("TEST No packages were found that matched your
>> query!\n");

This is NOT a good thing to do. We're using a regular expression to
match the error string that globus-makefile-header returns. You've now
convinced pyGlobus's setup.py that you have working globus packages,
which you clearly do not. You should run globus-makefile-header by hand
and see what output you get. Until you get valid output from
globus-makefile-header pyGlobus will not build. This isn't a problem
with pyGlobus, this is a problem with your globus installation.
--keith

On Sep 3, 2004, at 4:12 AM, Ivan R. Judson wrote:

> Hi Joseph,
>
> (I've cc'd the pyglobus mailing list since this is actually a
> pyglobus/globus problem, and since it's happening during the attempt to
> build packages it's not a "user" level error, but a developer problem.
> The
> combination of those two facts are the reasons we closed the bug
> yesterday.
> I'm sorry if that wasn't clearer from the email you got about it.
>
> But: it looks like there's a problem with either your globus install,
> since
> globus-makefile-header is a script that's used to generate compilation
> flags
> for programs that use globus. Are you absolutely sure you've run
> whatever
> post-install scripts need to be run for globus to correctly configure
> itself?
>
> --Ivan

Keith R. Jackson, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
1 Cyclotron Rd. MS: 50B-2239, Berkeley, CA 94720
tel: 510-486-4401  fax: 510-486-6363
krjackson at lbl.gov http://www-itg.lbl.gov/~kjackson/