[AG-TECH] Building failure - strange behaviour with pyGlobus

Joseph joseph at cs.usyd.edu.au
Fri Sep 3 00:34:58 CDT 2004

Hi

In fact, since the Beta2 release, my build isn't working anymore. The
pyGlobus module isn't build. In my build output, I find a lot of :
"Building pyGlobus
Checking for which modules to build
Checking the util module
Missing dependency to build the util package.
This package is required to build all of pyGlobus.
The following is the error message from globus-makefile-header.
('No packages were found that matched your query!\n',)
Now exiting from the build."
And so on, then
"ImportError: No module named pyGlobus"

Nothing had changed between the Beta1 and the Beta2 on my pc, so I filed a
bug report but apparently it wasn't one, the trouble should be with my
installation of environment variables.

However, just to be sure, I have
- resintalled gpt and globus : as usual, only the
globus_trusted_ca_42864e48_setup-noflavor-pgm appears not to be correctly
configurated after a gpt-postinstall and then gpt-verify, but I was told
before it's all right,
- checked the GPT_LOCATION and GLOBUS_LOCATION (they are set).

So I looked closer at the error, this globus-makefile-header. I have found
a very strange behaviour : when I change the line 230 in
/usr/lib/globus/bin/globus-makefile-header the behaviour of the build
process is deeply affected even if a just add the word "TEST" in the
output string. In brief, I just change the line 230 from :
	printf("No packages were found that matched your query!\n");
to :
	printf("TEST No packages were found that matched your query!\n");

The new behaviour is astonishing, I now have :
"Building pyGlobus
Checking for which modules to build
Checking the util module
The util module will be built
Checking the ftpClient module
The ftpClient module will be built
Checking the ftpControl module
The ftpControl module will be built
Checking the gassCache module
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "setup.py", line 915, in ?
     pyModList, eModList, swigList = build_module_lists()
   File "setup.py", line 247, in build_module_lists
     check_gassCache(pyModList, eModList, swigList)
   File "setup.py", line 425, in check_gassCache
     major, minor = check_version(dep)
TypeError: unpack non-sequence
Checking for which modules to build
Checking the io module
using version 4.0
The io module will be built
Checking the security module
using version 3.5
The security module will be built
Checking the util module
The util module will be built
swig -python -noproxy -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I/usr/include/python2.3 -o
./src/io_wrap.c ./src/io-4.0.i
swig -python -noproxy -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I/usr/include/python2.3 -o
./src/gss_wrap.c ./src/gss.i
swig -python -noproxy -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I/usr/include/python2.3 -o
./src/gsi_wrap.c ./src/gsi-3.5.i
swig -python -noproxy -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I/usr/include/python2.3 -o
./src/util_wrap.c ./src/util.i
running build"

Do you have any clue of what I'm doing wrong ? I just don't understand !

Cheers,
  Joseph