[AG-TECH] bttv & Fedora Core

Douglas Kosovic douglask at itee.uq.edu.au
Fri Mar 26 19:39:00 CST 2004

> > However, I've been unsuccessful in getting the bttv module to load
> > (unresolved references).  I tried downloading the latest bttv source and
> > compiling against my kernel (2.4.22-1.2174.nptl), but get even more
> > unresolved references.  I'm using an old Hauppauge Win-TV PCI card
> > (BT878 chipset).
>
> I'm using the stock Fedora Core with no special bttv code and everything
> loaded just fine for me:

Same here. Plus, there should be no need to build the latest bttv-0.7 driver
yourself, I think the Fedora kernel 2.4.x already contains back patches
based on later bttv-0.7 drivers.

If on the other hand you need Video for Linux 2 (V4L2) support, then you
would need to build the bttv 0.9.x. driver or use a Linux 2.6 kernel. In my
case I needed V4L2 support for a Digital HDTV PCI card I wanted to use in
the same PC. I wasn't able to get the V4L2 patches working against a Fedora
Kernel 2.4.x source code and had to patch against a standard (i.e
non-Fedora) kernel 2.4.x source. Vic then had problems with the V4L
compatibility layer on top of V4L2, it would block on an ioctl call after an
hour or so, I tried to solve the problem by modifying Vic to use the native
V4L2 API and the ioctl blocking went away. You can find the Vic V4L2 patch I
used here:
   http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~grangenet/vic_v4l2/
I'm not completely satisfied with the V4L2 patch and wouldn't recommend
using it for a production Access Grid node.

Cheers,
Doug