[AG-TECH] Windows XP audio feedback

Don Morton Don.Morton at umontana.edu
Thu Mar 11 09:35:59 CST 2004

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:25:51 -0600, "Robert Olson" <olson at mcs.anl.gov>
said:
> This makes me (and the next door office if I happen to have the laptop
> plugged into my speakers) crazy!
>
> What you probably need to do is go to the playback mixer panel and mute
> the
> microphone. You likely have an AC97-standard codec, and in that standard,
> the mute controls control the mic->line out path, which is causing the
> feedback.

Well, Bob, you're my hero for today!  I looked at that mute control and
figured, well duh, if I mute it, my mic ain't going to work, but indeed
it does!  Thanks, problem solved!!

   Don Morton                      http://www.cs.umt.edu/~morton/
   Department of Computer Science       The University of Montana
   Missoula, MT 59812 | Voice (406) 243-4975 | Fax (406) 243-5139

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the
most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.
-Edward Abbey, naturalist and author (1927-1989)