[AG-TECH] Problems while installing AGkt2.2 from source on a Debian

Joseph joseph at cs.usyd.edu.au
Fri Jun 18 02:35:06 CDT 2004

Hi all

I have worked on the packages and realised two binary packages, one for
globus and one for accessgrid. These packages are availabled at :
http://people.vislab.usyd.edu.au/~joseph/index.html . The globus one works
well (seems to me) but the AccessGrid has a few troubles when I try to run
VenueClient.py . The problems come from bad links to library. I have for
example :
"Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/bin/VenueClient.py", line 28, in ?
     from AccessGrid.Toolkit import WXGUIApplication
   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/AccessGrid/Toolkit.py", line 22,
in ?
     from AccessGrid.Security import CertificateManager
   File
"/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/AccessGrid/Security/CertificateManager.py",
line 51, in ?
     from AccessGrid import Utilities
   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/AccessGrid/Utilities.py", line
35, in ?
     from AccessGrid import Platform
   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/AccessGrid/Platform/__init__.py",
line 59, in ?
     from AccessGrid.Platform.unix import Config as Config
   File
"/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/AccessGrid/Platform/unix/Config.py",
line 21, in ?
     from pyGlobus import security
   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/pyGlobus/security.py", line 11,
in ?
     from pyGlobus import gssc
ImportError: libglobus_gss_assist_gcc32pthr.so.0: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory"

A "find / -name libglobus_gss_assist_gcc32pthr.so.0" gives me :
/usr/lib/gpt/lib/libglobus_gss_assist_gcc32pthr.so.0
To solve this trouble on my own pc, I have just made some symbolic links
in usr/lib/ . I could do this too in the package but I don't find it very
"clean", so I will look for another solution.
If you have a working idea I would gladly accept it !
Moreover, on the pc where I have done all the required symbolic links, I
still don't have AG2.2 really running because of a few configuration
problems (more below). So a few more tricks may be needed before having
AG2.2 working !

BTW, I have a few more questions :

- why is there a pyGlobus.spec in the AccessGrid/packaging/linux/rpm ? It
doesn't seem to be used, so ?

- In the dist folder generated after building from source, there a
ShareApplications folder. Looking at the accessgrid.spec.in file I have
realised that some files of this folder are not used, like
SharePresentation.zip. Is it ok ? Do these files have any interest or can
I just ignore them in my package?

- In the AccessGrid rpm binary from www.accessgrid.org, there are some
files and folders added in /usr/bin/python2.2/site-packages.

However, after having build it from the source on my Debian, these same
files are to be installed in the python2.3/site-packages directory. I
guess it's because I use python2.3 on my pc. So I think it means python2.3
is compulsory, is it right ? I think I will add it as a new dependency for
the package. The other way around is either to make a postinstall script
to check the current version of python or to build AG each time... BTW,
does it never cause some troubles to just have the site-packages installed
in the python2.2 folder ? Because it has caused some at least to me...

- In the rpm binary for AccessGrid from www.accessgrid.org, no spec file
seems to be present (or at least it doesn't appear, when using alien, as
it does with other rpm packages). Is it really the case ? Why is the /tmp
/AccessGrid-postinstall file not generated, executed and then erased as in
AccessGrid.spec.in the AccessGrid/packaging/linux/rpm ? Do I have to do it
in my own package ?

- on my working version of AG2.2 I had noticed that there was a warning or
error (I don't remenber) because of soappy. So I've tried to solve this
trouble by installing python-soappy (version 0.11.3-0.1) package but in
fact this installation failed because of some python file in
python2.3/site-packages/AccessGrid and python2.3/site-packages/pyGlobus. I
didn't manage to solve these problems and so I have formatted this pc to
reinstall everything. I would like to know if it's a known issue or if I
should investigate it more closely, because it could be a conflict between
AG2.2 and python-soappy packages...

That's all for the time ! Feel free to comment.

Cheers,
  Joseph