[AG-TECH] Disappearing venue definitions?

Christoph Willing chris at vislab.usyd.edu.au
Mon Jan 12 20:04:50 CST 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 12:31, Randy Groves wrote:
> Has anyone else had this happen?  I've been running an AG 2.x Venue server
> for some time now.  I left it up over the holidays, but didn't actually
> check on whether it was responsive or not.  When I returned, I just assumed
> that it had gone to sleep, although it was still running (the BridgeServer
> was also up), so I restarted both.
>
> Lo and behold, when I attempted to connect to my venues, I find that they
> had all disappeared!  The venue server was back to it's default initial
> state.  There was no 'backup' in the VenueServer.dat.bak file - it was
> identical to the main .dat file.
>
> This has happened before, and those times, I figured it was something that
> I had done in fiddling with the configuration.  But definitely NOT this
> time.  There is nothing that is obvious in the logs.
>
> While my venue server is not enormous, re-entering is not a huge pain, but
> a pain, nevertheless.
>
> But this points up a fairly significant hole in the venue server workings -
> there is no way (that I know of) to back up the server, and if that was
> available, of restoring it if it is trashed.  I presume that if a version
> of the .dat file was available, it would be possible to manually restore
> the server, but I have not encountered the instructions for this process,
> if it exists.

Yes, I've had this happen twice.

After the first time, I made a copy of the .dat file in a safe place.
After the second time I brought back the saved .dat file and when the
server was restarted, all the venues were there again (except for a few
which were added after I made my .dat safety copy).

chris

--
Chris Willing                      Telephone   (61-2) 9351 3914
Sydney Vislab, F09                      Fax    (61-2) 9351 5955