[AG-TECH] 2.x Toolkit Use - python version?

Michael Miller mimiller at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Feb 27 10:12:41 CST 2004

Here are the steps I follow when setting up a RH9 machine for AG2.
Most instructions can be copied to the command line and executed.
This is probably not exhaustive, and your mileage may vary.
If you have trouble, find me in the Meadow on venues.accessgrid.org:7777
or email me.

Install stock RH9,  I installed everything because understanding all the
dependencies is insane.  This may take 1-4 hours depending on how you
install things, your connection etc...

Install Updateme:
rpm -Uvh ftp://linuxserv.uga.edu/pub/unix/linux/updateme-3.5.6-1.noarch.rpm

updateme --cron --cron_interval daily

run updateme and install all the updates.  There are warnings about
installing kernel packages, but I went ahead and had no trouble.

if you get:

panic: end_shift at /usr/local/bin/updateme line 963.

in interactive mode, then:

remove the .UTF-8 on LANG in /etc/sysconfig/i18n making it  LANG="en_US"

open a new shell for change to take effect

If updateme wants to install Python-2.3 don't install it.

in /etc/aliases set email addr for root's email
# Person who should get root's mail
root:   user at domain.edu

/usr/bin/newaliases

make sure your FQDN is first in /etc/hosts

# more /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx          yourmachine.your.domain yourmachine
# IP goes here ^

block ports in /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny

Install wxPython
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wxpython/wxPythonGTK-py2.2-2.4.0.7-1.i386.rpm?use_mirror=umn

Install AGToolKit
http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/fl/research/accessgrid/software/releases/2.1.2/tarballs/AccessGrid-2.1.2-13.tar.gz
Check the readme for specific instructions

update PyXML
http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/713571/com/PyXML-0.8.3-1.RedHat9.i386.rpm.html
I had to remove 4suite to get this to install

VenueClient.py
Follow the instructions to request a cert.

setting up cameras and audio will depend on your hardware.
If you have trouble running

VenueServer.py &
The output will tell you how to connect both the client and the
VenueManagement.py

Hope this helps!

Michael Miller
NCSA

At 05:51 AM 2/27/2004, David Golden wrote:
> > I see on the documentation that AG is actually only supported under
> > RH7.3 but I'm assuming since I'm using RH9 then 2.x will work as well.
> >

>As another AG newbie (working on setting up a node in Dublin, Ireland),
>the RH7 issue worries me too.  For various admin+security reasons, we
>strongly prefer to use Debian for network- and end-user- exposed boxes,
>and I have been tinkering with bringing up AG2.1.2 on Debian. RH7.x
>would be a pretty extreme reversion and annoying to support.
>
>My main problem is the AG SRPMs stated dependency on Python2.2 - I
>haven't yet tried running things on Python2.3, so maybe it just works,
>but do AG devs know if the dependency on Python2.2 is for actual code
>compatibility or simply because RH7 users could be using an even older
>python?
>
>Thanks,
>
>David Golden (DIAS)

Thanx,

Michael Miller
System Engineer
Visualization Technology Support
Computing and Data Management
University of Illinois - UC
217-649-0747

"If you're clear in your vision and trust the people in your team with
clear objectives, they will invariably do their best to achieve everything
desired, and usually deliver everything you could have hoped for and even
more." -Paul Debevec