[AG-TECH] 2.x Toolkit Use - python version?

Christoph Willing chris at vislab.usyd.edu.au
Sun Feb 29 20:11:22 CST 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 22:51, David Golden wrote:
> > I see on the documentation that AG is actually only supported under
> > RH7.3 but I'm assuming since I'm using RH9 then 2.x will work as well.
> >

> As another AG newbie (working on setting up a node in Dublin, Ireland),
> the RH7 issue worries me too.  For various admin+security reasons, we
> strongly prefer to use Debian for network- and end-user- exposed boxes,
> and I have been tinkering with bringing up AG2.1.2 on Debian. RH7.x
> would be a pretty extreme reversion and annoying to support.
>
> My main problem is the AG SRPMs stated dependency on Python2.2 - I
> haven't yet tried running things on Python2.3, so maybe it just works,
> but do AG devs know if the dependency on Python2.2 is for actual code
> compatibility or simply because RH7 users could be using an even older
> python?

David,

My approach to building non-redhat installations was to convert each
package's SRPM .spec file into a shell script, which could then perform
the necessary building. At the end of each script, I added commands to
build the binary packages for my distribution (Slackware). For
installation, I just changed the installation script to use Slackware
packages instead of Redhat RPMs. I expect something similar could be
done for just about any distribution.

The python version issue was addressed in the build scripts by making
any reference to python an alias (to 2.2, 2.3, whatever) as required, at
the top of the script.

It wasn't exactly trivial making it all work, but now that it _is_
worked out, its trivial to make a new set of Slackware packages from the
source anytime I need. Email me privately if you want a copy of the
build scripts.

BTW, Thanks to Ti Leggett for making the .spec files readable &
commented enough to make build scripts from!

chris

--
Chris Willing                      Telephone   (61-2) 9351 3914
Sydney Vislab, F09                      Fax    (61-2) 9351 5955