[AG-TECH] Problems with Slackware 9.1 version of AG

Christoph Willing chris at vislab.usyd.edu.au
Tue Feb 10 15:58:51 CST 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 01:54, Jeremy Mann wrote:
> I had to reinstall our Venue Server due to a hard drive replacement so I
> thought I'd try the 9.1 packages of AG from APAG. Well, so far I can't
> connect to the server. Before installation, I backed up all certificates,
> the ag directory, and globus certificates. The VenueServer starts, but
> when I use my laptop (which worked on the previous installation) says it
> can't connect. In the VenueServer logs, I see where it knows how I am and
> says I am allowed to connect:

[snip]

> I thought maybe its something with Python2.3, so I reverted back to the
> 9.0 install of AG and I get the same connection problems.

Jeremy,

If anything, the 9.1 install (with Python2.3) should be less of a
problem since it includes a fixed version (currently only available in
CVS) of the pyOpenSSL_AG package.

I've noticed that a service will sometimes continue to run even its
authorisation initialisation fails. For instance when VenueClient starts
for the first time & makes a certificate request, you can choose to keep
running without a certificate. The AGServiceManager is similar. I'm not
sure about the VenueServer, but running it without a certificate might
explain your problem.

For me, certificates are pretty much in the realm of black magic at the
moment, so my specific strategy when in a certificate mess is to
completely blow away the .AccessGrid directory. Then reboot (perhaps
grid-proxy-destroy is enough) to remove any residual (and possibly
weird) authorisation. Now if you have a Globus CA, run grid-proxy-init
_before_ running any services. If you have an AG Developers CA, then
you'll have to run the VenueClient and import the certificate (again,
_before_ running any services). When your certificates/authorisations
are active (test with grid-proxy-info), start your services.

On another tack, are you still able to connect to other servers? We have
2 that you can try: the one you probably know at
https://vv2.ap-accessgrid.org:8000/Venues/default still runs the server
from the Slack 9.0 release. I am still testing the server for the 9.1
release before unleashing it online. You can try that new server at
http://exp.vislab.usyd.edu.au:8000/Venues/default.

Also, can other clients connect to your server? I'll try connecting to
it if you can give me its address.

chris

--
Chris Willing                      Telephone   (61-2) 9351 3914
Sydney Vislab, F09                      Fax    (61-2) 9351 5955