[AG-TECH] Rat CPU load in Linux - soundcard problem ?

Andrew Daviel advax at triumf.ca
Wed Dec 15 19:38:50 CST 2004

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Steve Smith wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 19:38, Andrew Daviel wrote:
> > I have noticed in several Linux systems that Rat (ratmedia) is using
> > 100% of a CPU (if it can get it) in system state. This seems to
> > block the Venue client on a 1-CPU box.
>
> The last time I saw this it the workaround was to switch into stereo
> mode.  I suspect that the mono audio code in the drivers doesn't get a
> lot of testing.

That didn't help.

However, building and installing the Alsa driver (snd-ens1371) instead of
the OSS one (es1371) seems to fix it.

We have several systems with these cards running various RedHat 9,
Fedora & Scientific Linux and generally use the distro kernel and modules
(and subsequent updates) for administrative/security reasons. So having
to change to Alsa is a bit of a nuisance, as it may need re-installing
after kernel updates, and means we have system files that don't belong to
RPMs and may get trashed.

I note that other (non-full-duplex) apps such as "record" and "play"
do not consume this CPU. I don't understand, but at least I have a
solution.

... so now maybe I can spec. a 1-CPU system after all ...

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376  (Pacific Time)
security at triumf.ca