[AG-TECH] AccessGrid on a bootable live cd (Knoppix) :

Michael Miller mimiller at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Aug 3 08:13:08 CDT 2004

Joseph,

AG2 uses AGTK_USER to identify where a users' .AccessGrid (or equiv)
directory is.  Would it be simple enough to have the CD write a script that
users could quickly edit/save/run, then run the AG software?  Perhaps you
could have it open up in a text editor on boot.  That way you don't have to
worry about finding a particular drive or net service and the user is asked
to do minimal configuration.

Just my $0.02

Michael Miller
NCSA

At 12:43 AM 8/3/2004, Joseph wrote:
>>One of the things we talked about a while back was a bootable cd for the
>>OS/code and a USB memory stick (or flash drive, or whatever) holding the
>>dynamic/writeable and user-specific data (like certs). So just give
>>people a memory stick to plug in and boot off the CD. Would that work?
>>It'd require some additional script tweaks I imagine to go look for the
>>memory stick...?
>
>I think it should work, at least some people do so to use Knoppix, so
>after a few tweaks it should be the case. However, it's not exactly the
>aim we have currently here, in Vislab. It's mainly to have a few to show
>AG easily everywhere, for demonstration and first trial. However, it
>should be possible, it's sure, I will look it closer if I have the time.
>
>>Another option could be to look on the network for the data - booting
>>off a CD or network image, and grabbing the data from some ssl-based
>>service?
>
>Something close may possible indeed. It requires some work too but it's
>possible. If there is a real interest in such solution I could take some
>time to look at it closer.
>
>However, first, I would like to have a "stand alone" bootable live cd
>working. What is required currently is simpler than that : just to know
>what to copy on my iso in order to have the certificate rightly installed.
>I guessed copying an user .AccessGrid folder is part of the answer, but
>just this doesn't work. Is there a way to do it ?
>
>Cheers,
>    Joseph

Thanx,

Michael Miller
System Engineer
Visualization Technology Support
Computing and Data Management
University of Illinois - UC
217-649-0747

"If you're clear in your vision and trust the people in your team with
clear objectives, they will invariably do their best to achieve everything
desired, and usually deliver everything you could have hoped for and even
more." -Paul Debevec