[AG-TECH] AccessGrid on a bootable live cd (Knoppix) : certificate question

Joseph joseph at cs.usyd.edu.au
Tue Aug 3 00:43:09 CDT 2004

> One of the things we talked about a while back was a bootable cd for the
> OS/code and a USB memory stick (or flash drive, or whatever) holding the
> dynamic/writeable and user-specific data (like certs). So just give
> people a memory stick to plug in and boot off the CD. Would that work?
> It'd require some additional script tweaks I imagine to go look for the
> memory stick...?

I think it should work, at least some people do so to use Knoppix, so
after a few tweaks it should be the case. However, it's not exactly the
aim we have currently here, in Vislab. It's mainly to have a few to show
AG easily everywhere, for demonstration and first trial. However, it
should be possible, it's sure, I will look it closer if I have the time.

> Another option could be to look on the network for the data - booting
> off a CD or network image, and grabbing the data from some ssl-based
> service?

Something close may possible indeed. It requires some work too but it's
possible. If there is a real interest in such solution I could take some
time to look at it closer.

However, first, I would like to have a "stand alone" bootable live cd
working. What is required currently is simpler than that : just to know
what to copy on my iso in order to have the certificate rightly installed.
I guessed copying an user .AccessGrid folder is part of the answer, but
just this doesn't work. Is there a way to do it ?

Cheers,
    Joseph