[AG-TECH] Mac OS X Progress, RAT is being stuborn

Jason Bell j.bell at cqu.edu.au
Mon Aug 2 18:58:24 CDT 2004

G'day Jerome

I had the same problem as well, the problem is related to not having
enough shared memory.  For some reason, Mac OS X sets the defaults
maximum's for shared memory to be relatively low.

The following is a guide on how I managed to get it to work.

Step 1.

Edit Vic file and change
	exec mash-5.2.1 "$0" -name vic -- "$@"
	exec ./mash-5.2.1 "$0" -name vic -- "$@"
or
	exec /install_path/mash-5.2.1 "$0" -name vic -- "$@"

Step 2.

Good website
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/kernel-resources.html

SHMMAX 	Maximum size of shared memory segment (bytes)
250 kB + 8.2 kB * shared_buffers + 14.2 kB * max_connections up to
infinity

SHMMIN 	Minimum size of shared memory segment (bytes)
1

SHMALL 	Total amount of shared memory available (bytes or pages)
if bytes, same as SHMMAX; if pages, ceil(SHMMAX/PAGE_SIZE)

SHMSEG 	Maximum number of shared memory segments per process
only 1 segment is needed, but the default is much higher

SHMMNI 	Maximum number of shared memory segments system-wide
like SHMSEG plus room for other applications

SEMMNI 	Maximum number of semaphore identifiers (i.e., sets)
at least ceil(max_connections / 16)

SEMMNS 	Maximum number of semaphores system-wide
ceil(max_connections / 16) * 17 plus room for other applications

SEMMSL 	Maximum number of semaphores per set
at least 17

SEMMAP 	Number of entries in semaphore map
see text

SEMVMX 	Maximum value of semaphore at least
1000 (The default is often 32767, don't change unless asked to.)

The most important shared memory parameter is SHMMAX, the maximum size,
in bytes, of a shared memory segment. If you get an

MacOS X
In OS X 10.2 and earlier, edit the file
/System/Library/StartupItems/SystemTuning/SystemTuning and change the
values in the following commands:

sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmax
sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmin
sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmni
sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmseg
sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmall

In OS X 10.3, these commands have been moved to /etc/rc and must be
edited there.

The default values for 10.3 was

sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmax=4194304
sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmin=1
sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmni=32
sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmseg=8
sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmall=1024

I modified the settings to

sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmax=34194304
sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmin=1
sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmni=32
sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmseg=256
sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmall=34194304

I hope this guide provide some assistance.

Cheers,
Jason.

P.S. I am also very keen to see the AccessGrid Version 2 running on Mac
OS X.

Jason Bell, B.I.T.
B. Info. Tech. (Honours) Student

Network Engineer
Information Technology Division
Central Queensland University

High Performance Computing Support Officer
Central Queensland University

Research Assistant to the Nonlinear Intelligent Systems Research Group
Faculty of Informatics & Communication
Central Queensland University

E-mail : j.bell at cqu.edu.au
Phone : 07 4930 9229