[AG-TECH] Life of 'service' cert

Ivan R. Judson judson at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Apr 16 15:34:07 CDT 2004

> I realize that this isn't the appropriate use of a service
> cert.  But here's my problem.  I'm setting up a node in a
> conference room where people are used to logging in on the
> conference room machine with their own ID.  Until such time
> as I (or someone) can modify the certificate system in such a
> way what it pays attention, for instance, to certificates
> already installed in IE (for example), or in
> Exchange/Outlook, having to require that all users
> have/acquire a certificate is an unworkable situation.  So,
> right now, it's either a service cert, or telling everybody
> the password to the node.

Right, that's why I didn't want to say "don't do it", just give a heads up.
We know the current situation is difficult in cases like yours, so we're
working on fixing that.

> I'm dealing, unfortunately at an executive level here, and
> impediments like having to acquire a certificate can become
> another reason not to adopt the technology.

Understood.

> The restrictions in the authorization policy only apply if
> you have set up
> some rules for the particular venue, though - right?    I
> haven't had any
> problem in my initial tests in entering venues.

Right, *if* we get things easier, those rules will be configured by default
in the next release. We're being very conservative in our priorities so that
we enable more usability with each new release, meanwhile introducing much
needed functionality :-)

--Ivan