[AG-TECH] Life of 'service' cert

Randy Groves randy.groves at boeing.com
Fri Apr 16 14:43:52 CDT 2004

I realize that this isn't the appropriate use of a service cert.  But
here's my problem.  I'm setting up a node in a conference room where people
are used to logging in on the conference room machine with their own
ID.  Until such time as I (or someone) can modify the certificate system in
such a way what it pays attention, for instance, to certificates already
installed in IE (for example), or in Exchange/Outlook, having to require
that all users have/acquire a certificate is an unworkable situation.  So,
right now, it's either a service cert, or telling everybody the password to
the node.

I'm dealing, unfortunately at an executive level here, and impediments like
having to acquire a certificate can become another reason not to adopt the
technology.

The restrictions in the authorization policy only apply if you have set up
some rules for the particular venue, though - right?    I haven't had any
problem in my initial tests in entering venues.

There is also the issue, which I believe is already do-able, but I haven't
amassed the spare cycles to test, of having this whole system run using our
own CA and our own certificates.

-randy