[AG-TECH] Questions About AG Service Development

Allan Spale aspale at evl.uic.edu
Wed May 21 12:36:27 CDT 2003

Hello,

I am looking to develop a service that would utilize a service in a venue
as well as data in a venue.  My questions are the following:

- There is a data file in the venue that I want to use with my node
service.  Using the AGService interface, how would I be able to link
the information in File1 to a service (i.e. the user of the node service
right-clicked on File1 in the venue and selected Open)?  My thoughts on
this are that since I am working with data, it is not a stream, so I
cannot use the ConfigureStream method.  My other option would be to use
the GetResource method.  If this is the case, what parameters and methods
are accesible to me via self?  On a similar note, if I used the method
SetResource, what parameters and methods would be accessible to me?

- If I wanted to create a venue service, this would be programmatically
derived from AGService, correct?  What does a venue service actually do?
Can multiple nodes connect to it?  Would the SetConfiguration method be
used to pass local information to use to connect to the server (such as
node IP address)?  If this venue service is responsible for announcing
events to users (instead of having an AG shared application with its
appropriate event channel), does the event stream for this venue service
need to be wrapped in an AG communication mechanism.

Is there any other information or links that would help?

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Allan
EVL at UIC
Research Assistant