[AG-TECH] strange video smears

Jeremy Mann jeremy at bioc09.v19.uthscsa.edu
Fri Mar 21 17:22:14 CST 2003

> At 12:08 PM 3/21/2003 -0600, Jeremy Mann wrote:
>> > I'm wondering if there is some sort of bus or interrupt conflict.
>> >
>> > Does it get better if you mute the local video?
>>
>>It got better by forcing the bttv card to IRQ 9 and muting the local
>> video. But the problem is, this will also be the display machine. But
>> the quality still isn't there and the smearing lines are still visible
>> with movement.

Man, this was a hard thing to track down, but its finally fixed.  It seems
I had an ethernet going bad. It struck me strange since XawTV worked
beautifully, but when starting VIC I had poor performance. Then I tried to
start VIC locally, this is where a DING went off in my head. I couldn't
start VIC without a multicast address which means its sending/receiving
information regardless if I am the only one in my room and looking at my
local stream.

I swapped NICs and the problem is gone. Hey, this is something you guys
can add to your FAQ, "If your video performance was once good, but starts
smearing, its an ethernet card going bad."

Big thanks for your help Bob Olson.

--
Jeremy Mann
jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu