[AG-TECH] Help with two machine (windows/video and linux/audio) software configuration

David Bradford bradford at bu.edu
Wed Jan 29 13:31:28 CST 2003

Greetings,

  I am attempting to set up an AG node, and once successful will be
duplicating the setup.   I've had some local advice on the hardware
configuration, and I now have everything set up and cabled.  My next step is
to get the software running, and here my somewhat odd setup has me confused.
I chatted with Jennifer Teig Von Hoffman, and she suggested that I post a
message here as my configuration is rather different than the one already
here on campus.   I attended an AG tutorial, so I have some  basic
understanding, and I've tried downloading the software, but can't seem to
get things quite happy with my setup.  Any and all advice on getting going
would be appreciated.
  I have the peripheral equipment installed and operational:  ClearOne
(Gentner) XAP 800 and XAP TH2 (with phone line), 6 table microphones, one
wireless microphone, 3 video projectors, 3 color cameras, and 4 Genelec
speakers.  I use a KVM switch to control the three computers.  On the
Windows box I have MS Office installed as well as X-win software, and on the
RedHat machines I have Crossover Office (runs windows software) installed in
case I need it.  I installed the XAP control software on the Windows box as
it seemed easiest, and successfully tested all of the microphones through
the XAP 800.
  I'm running more current versions of the operating systems than suggested,
(Windows XP Pro and RedHat 8.0) as we are pretty happy with these versions
and not so happy with the older ones.  I can downgrade in a pinch, but would
much run with these if possible.

Machine 1 (video): cism-ag-video.bu.edu
   Windows XP, dual 2.4 GHz Xeon processors with 1gb DDR RAM
  Matrox Millennium G450 (PCI)  and Parhelia 3 Head (AGP) graphics cards
  Ituner Spectra8 video capture card (4 video inputs)

Machine 2 (audio): cism-ag-audio.bu.edu
   RedHat 8.0, dual 2.0 GHz Xeon processors with 1gb RAM
   M-Audio Delta 1010LT audio card

  I think that's the important details of the setup - if I've forgotten
anything let me know.  The machines are all up to date as far as BIOS
revisions, o/s updates, etc.  The network is set up correctly, at least the
test software seemed perfectly happy.  (As our network group has already
successfully set up one AG node, I don't think there will be any trouble
network-wise.)  The Windows machine is happily extending windows on to all
four displays (operator LCD and three projectors).  I don't think I have any
major problems with my audio setup, but I haven't fully tested it yet (for
example I have not attempted to teleconference).  Getting the video running
is clearly a bit of a problem for me at the moment.
  I've tried to do the installation as described on the web pages, and
downloaded the software package and installed it on the Windows box, but
beyond that I've mostly been flailing about without much improvement.  The
documentation doesn't seem to describe my setup, nor does the installation
guide I was following accurately describe the version of the software I
downloaded.  In summary, I would appreciate any advice on what software to
attempt to install on what machines, and what versions to look for.  (Or
perhaps someone knows of a web site where setting something similar up is
already described.)
  If running Xp or RedHat 8.0 is hopeless I can clear the machines out and
start again. I could certainly move cards between the machines.  About the
only thing I would really like to hold on to is getting everything running
in just two machines, to save money as I set up several sites.
  In case anyone is curious, I am setting these nodes up to support a new
NSF research center, the Center for Integrated Space Weather Modeling
(CISM).  They are distributed around the US at about ten sites, and want to
hold meetings via the access grid.  Thanks in advance for any and all advice
offered.

David Bradford
Astronomy Department
Boston University