[AG-TECH] Multicast oddity

Gavin W. Burris aka 86 ga5in at psu.edu
Fri Sep 13 08:54:19 CDT 2002

Brian Corrie wrote (on Thu, 12 Sep 2002 at 14:24):
> Our site (newmic4.bc.net) is running the beacon software. Our
> horizontal column on the web page is showing mostly green and good
> connectivity to most sites. This is reflected when we connect to an AG venue
> as well as we get video and audio from other sites. The vertical column for
> our machine on the beacon web site is completely grey and no one can see or
> hear us when we connect to a venue.

We had similar problems.  I eventually found out through our tele-comm
department that our multicast rendezvous point was a non-routable
address, so it was filtered out at other institutions' routers, as it
should be.  They have since then changed routing behavior and all is
well.
--
<<--=[ Gavin W. Burris aka 86 <ga5in at psu.edu> ]=-->>
    <<--=[ Penn State Visualization Group  Systems Programmer ]=-->>