[AG-TECH] Multicast oddity

Jeffrey Eschbach eschbach at motorola.com
Fri Sep 13 00:36:37 CDT 2002

> We are investigating a multicast problem on our network but
> I thought I would pose the question here in case one of the
> experts on this list might be able to help out.
> any hints would be appreciated...

I'm no expert, but this may help... I've run into similar trouble
before, and it surrounded our MBGP and MSDP settings.  At a high level,
MBGP lets other networks know how to reach your network for multicast
traffic, and MSDP lets other networks know when you are actively
providing a source of multicast traffic.

I just looked on our router and we do not show any Source Active entries
for you (show ip msdp sa-cache 233.2.171.1 142.231.1.60).  Assuming
other sites have similar state, it means that others do not receive your
MSDP Source Active messages and therefore do not know that you are a
source of multicast traffic.  We also do not show an MBGP entry for your
network (show ip mbgp), so you may also want to look at your BGP/MBGP
settings in addition to your MSDP settings.

Good luck!
Jeff

Jeff Eschbach                              eschbach at motorola.com
Networks and Infrastructure Research
Senior Staff Engineer, Motorola Labs Internet2 Initiative
http://internet2.motlabs.com              Fax:    (847) 576-3240
Desk: (847) 538-5846                      Mobile: (847) 980-2240