[AG-TECH] Multi-Headed Display

Scott Miller miller48 at llnl.gov
Thu Oct 24 19:12:06 CDT 2002

I am a casual reader of this mailing list.  This thread caught my eye since this is what I do for LLNL.

There is a company, National Display Systems, that makes these tiled displays that are ready out of the box.  They are intended to be used as you describe the panels that you are putting together.  They end up with about a 1" mullion and are VESA compliant for mounts.  Of course with this solution you do not have the fun of ripping the plastic off your monitors but it makes for a nice display.

Their web site, http://www.nationaldisplay.com ,is not the greatest but a phone call should help in finding the correct part number.  We currently have some 2x2 panels used for Desktop applications and one display using 5 panels in a cross pattern for building occupant information and an events bulletin board.  All of these panels are 18" 1280x1024.  We just purchase one of their new Nova displays (2048x1536) and are currently searching for ways to drive these in multiple arrays.

Has anybody seen a real seamless system (zero mullion)?  For the applications that I am running I can not tolerate the loss of pixel data required to do edge blending.  That is what I mean by real.

Hope this helps.

Scott Miller

At 10:47 AM 10/18/02 -0500, Allan Spale wrote:
>Luc,
>
>Thanks for the plug.  EVL is working on creating a large tiled display.
>If anyone is in need of technical details building one of these displays,
>please let me know, and I will try to send the mail to the right person so
>that you can receive the answer that you are looking for.
>

>Allan
>EVL at UIC
>node-op
>
>On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Luc Renambot wrote:
>
> > For demo purpose, EVL built a 4-tile display
> > with 4 18" TFT at 1280x1024. Looks pretty nice.
> > Just remove the plastic frame around each panel, and fix
> > them together...
> >
> > Luc.
> > renambot at cs.vu.nl

Scott E. Miller
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
P.O. Box 808               L-661
Livermore, CA 94550        Fax   (925) 423-8704
email: miller48 at llnl.gov  Voice (925) 424-2746