[AG-TECH] Multi-Headed Display

John Shalf jshalf at lbl.gov
Thu Oct 24 21:39:33 CDT 2002

On Thursday, October 24, 2002, at 05:12  PM, Scott Miller wrote:

> I am a casual reader of this mailing list.  This thread caught my eye
> since this is what I do for LLNL.
>
> There is a company, National Display Systems, that makes these tiled
> displays that are ready out of the box.  They are intended to be used
> as you describe the panels that you are putting together.  They end up
> with about a 1" mullion and are VESA compliant for mounts.  Of course
> with this solution you do not have the fun of ripping the plastic off
> your monitors but it makes for a nice display.

I've seen National Display before.  They are really popular with the
NYSE and other stock displays.  There are plenty of commercial vendors
for these LCD tiled displays, but I think the primary motivating factor
for ripping plastic or buying unpackaged displays is cost.  I think EVL
gets the mullion down to considerably < 1" too.  Otherwise, there are
plenty of commercial vendors who do this (just not cheaply).

> Has anybody seen a real seamless system (zero mullion)?  For the
> applications that I am running I can not tolerate the loss of pixel
> data required to do edge blending.  That is what I mean by real.

Well, the Barco rear-projection/Atlas displays have a 0.3mm mullion (1/3
of a pixel).  Thats about as close to zero as I've seen.  It doesn't fix
the color calibration problem though....(never will).

-john