[AG-TECH] udp network tuning - windows/vic

Jay Beavers jbeavers at microsoft.com
Sun Nov 10 00:51:37 CST 2002

To date, I've left the UDP receive buffer static and received packets
into a ring buffer on a per RTP stream basis.  I set the ring buffer
equal to 4x the expected maximum frame size for the stream based on
payload type and then use best effort decoding/rendering out of that
buffer.  I have a dedicated thread that services the incoming packets
and posts them to the appropriate RTP stream's ring buffer.

I haven't had any issues such as not being able to properly service the
socket buffer with this approach, so I haven't had the motivation to
increase the UDP receive buffer size.  I'll ask our IP stack team your
question and see if I can come up with an answer, as I don't know it off
the top of my head.

 - jcb