[AG-TECH] US / UK Network Route Test Today - 14:30 UTC

Mike Daw mike.daw at man.ac.uk
Thu May 30 04:02:05 CDT 2002

Hello everyone,

The UK receivers of this email know all about this test of routing change.

For those of you who don't, or maybe didn't get the relevance - academic
network traffic between the US and the UK will have to go via different
routes in the future due to problems with the company who administers the
current route. Below is some early feedback by other users of the network.

>From 05:00 UTC today (May 30) until 05:00 UTC tomorrow, the new path is in
place in order for it to be tested (multicast as well as unicast traffic).
Whilst a cursory look at the beacons a few moments ago seems to show no
problems, it would be really good if as many nodes from the US and the UK
could pop in for a test today at 14:30 UTC. Virtual Venue to be the Test
Room (naturally enough).

I don't plan on it being a long test - everyone should open up all their
video and audio feeds and we'll see if anything unusual happens. I'll
monitor loss on rat and we'll see if we get any large amounts of loss on
people's video feeds. I reckon it should take around 15 minutes. Please butt
in if you do notice any problems.

Also let me know if there's anything else you think I should be testing
(Michael Robson - our network contact here - is going to be doing some
network monitoring too).

(Don - if you could lay on a few deer to be roaming about your node, we'd be
grateful.)

Thanks in advance and hopefully see you this afternoon / morning,
Mike

Michael Daw
Computer Services for Academic Research (CSAR)

Manchester Computing, Kilburn Building,
University of Manchester, Manchester M13 9PL, UK

Tel: +44 (0)161 275 7026
Fax: +44 (0)161 275 6800
Email: michael.daw at man.ac.uk

http://www.csar.cfs.ac.uk/staff/daw/