[AG-TECH] IGMPv3, Source Specific Multicast, fully supported in Windows XP

Jeffrey Eschbach eschbach at motorola.com
Fri Aug 16 10:35:53 CDT 2002

> In the case of OM vic, this is already possible, fwiw.  The OpenMASH
> folks have been exploring ssm for awhile.

Ya, but I think that Vic implementation only supports joining a single
(S,G) pair.  Still need a way to specify a LIST of (S,G) pairs or even a
list of sources for a single group.

> do they address the problem of distributing the sending sources
> around? or is it at the level of giving vic a list of addresses.

You just give Vic the (S,G) pair.

My personal wishlist:  Before Vic distributes the sources around, I
would love to see an implementation that allows dynamic addition/removal
of (S,G) pairs.  Right now with (*,G) m-cast we are used to people
joining/leaving a group at will without any trouble.  With SSM Vic and
no dynamic add/remove, users would relaunch Vic every time they want to
add a new (S,G) pair...  from an AG node perspective, imaging everyone
in a venue having to relaunch Vic every time a new node joined.

Jeff

Jeff Eschbach                              eschbach at motorola.com
Networks and Infrastructure Research
Senior Staff Engineer, Motorola Labs Internet2 Initiative
http://internet2.motlabs.com              Fax:    (847) 576-3240
Desk: (847) 538-5846                      Mobile: (847) 980-2240