[AG-TECH] IGMPv3, Source Specific Multicast, fully supported in Windows XP

Jay Beavers jbeavers at microsoft.com
Fri Aug 16 02:48:56 CDT 2002

Three sites, Foo, Bar, and Nee.  All are sending multicast data to the
same routable multicast group address.

Foo sends a SSM request to only get traffic from Bar.  Are the following
true?

If Bar's edge devices support IGMPv3, no effect since it's traffic is
being requested.

If Nee's edge devices support IGMPv3 and Foo is the only requestor, then
the traffic won't leave Nee's network.  If Nee's edge doesn't support
IGMPv3, the traffic will go onto the backbone.

If Foo's edge devices support IGMPv3, then Nee's traffic will be
filtered at the Edge and will not reach Foo.

If the edge router for each site supports IGMPv3, if the goal is
reducing traffic over the backbone and across the Internet2 POP, does it
matter if the switches behind the edge router support IGMPv3?