[AG-TECH] physical security

Barbara A. Kucera bkucera at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Aug 2 09:48:17 CDT 2002

You're absolutely right, Andrea!  Let's hope that Robert's space
administrators realize the folly of even considering doing such a thing.

Barbara
------------

At 11:24 AM 8/2/2002 +0100, andrea jackson wrote:
>Subject: RE: [AG-TECH] physical security
>

> > Some thoughts to add to those from others ...
> >
> > Consider whether you can get the projectors inside a housing that
> > is locked (a sort of projection tunnel fitted to the ceiling).
>
>etc.
>
>No, don't do it. It is wrong, it is a bad idea, and Robert knows it is.
>Don't encourage it. It should be discouraged at all costs. I work in an
>environment close to our own public cluster, and I've seen what they can do
>to a black and white printer in the middle of the night, nevermind the AG
>equipment. Robert is trying to run a professional facility. Putting him in
>the position of never knowing if his AG node will still be intact in the
>morning is bad practice.
>
>Robert, how will you operate, test, and run maintenance on the node if it is
>in a public area?
>

>Andrea Jackson
>Manchester Computing
>Tel +44 161 275 6090
>accessgrid at man.ac.uk

Barbara A. Kucera
Alliance/EPSCoR Liaison
National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA)
(217) 244-0131 * Fax (217) 244-2909

Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about
telescopes. - Edsger W. Dijkstra, computer science professor