[AG-TECH] UTC Time Change

Shawn Davis wdavis at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Sun Apr 7 21:17:11 CDT 2002

So I'm sure most of you are aware of the scheduler software I am working on
- I made a short presentation about it at the retreat in March.  AGSchedule
will handle time issues in a much improved manner, and I think this will
please everyone involved.  When scheduling a meeting, the user can choose
to schedule it in either UTC time or Local Time.  The local time zone
offset from UTC is detected from the user's computer.  In either case, the
meeting time is stored as UTC in the database.  When viewing the various
calendar displays, the meetings can be shown in either UTC time or Local
time, whichever the user prefers.  And, when you look at the meeting
information page for a given meeting, both local and UTC times are shown
simultaneously.  So I think this will satisfy both sides of the
issue.  Those who prefer to work in UTC time will be able to work entirely
in UTC with the scheduler.  And likewise, those who prefer working with
local times will be able to continue to do so.
For those of you who signed up with either myself or Jackie to start using
the scheduler, I hope to get you guys up and running with it sometime this
week.  Sorry it has taken so long to get this up and running - I had to get
a venues server up and running along with some final additions to the
scheduler.  If anyone did not sign up to use it but would like to, send me
an email and I'll add you to the list.
-Shawn
wdavis at ncsa.uiuc.edu
217-244-4131