[AG-TECH] RE: Hello

Lisa Childers childers at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Sep 6 13:56:56 CDT 2001

Pete,

Ah, okay, this context is very helpful :-).  The informal place to hang out
on the Access Grid is called the Lobby.  The Test room is used for audio
tests.

The other rooms are scheduled for various events.  Some events on the AG
schedule are open to all, while many others are not.  In most AG rooms,
there is no technological barrier to attending an event.  Given this, unless
one is explicitly invited, it is good practice to send email to the contact
person listed on the schedule requesting permission to participate in an
event.

The audio codec we use on the AG is 16kHz Mono; the tool we use for decoding
and encoding audio is called RAT.  (fyi, during your time in the Bridgeport
Venue, you were transmitting the .wav bindings for your windows events to
our audio channel.)

An important first step to getting connected to the Access Grid is to find
your way to our text-based hangout space.  It is there that many discussions
related to the technology take place, and it is a great source of tech
support and AG social interaction.  Instructions for connecting to the AG
MOO can be found at
http://www.accessgrid.org/agdp/howto/use-venues-moo/1.0.1/html/book1.htm.

We are happy to help and look forward to you seeing you on the grid!

Thanks,
Lisa