[AG-TECH] Multicast beacon questions

Satish Devarapalli devasat at iit.edu
Fri Oct 26 10:08:01 CDT 2001

hi,

There is a similar tool at

http://www.web3d.org/WorkingGroups/vrtp/rtpMonitor/

-presents global session statistics, individual stream statistics and feedbacks
from all participants;

- records the statistics in text files, continuously, in intervals defined
by the user;

the statistics recorded might be useful for debugging problems and improving
QoS.

I tried running on my Win2K box, but i get some errors

with out logging in to the VirtualVenues i tried running this and i get
an error message "Cannot bind requested address",

after logging in i get "cannot bind:requested address in use"

i tried to trace the problem, this message is coming from RtpMonitor code,
 but couldnt figure out the exact cause for this exception.

can some one tell me what is going on when i log in to the virtual venues.
my understanding is that i will be added to the multicast group address
to which the venue is bound, **but how is this done exactly**. i mean are
my credentials or ipaddress is used to add me in to the multicast group.
becoz, the error message "Cannot bind requested address" indicates me some
security problem or that i am not added in the multicast group. how to add
myself in to the multicast group without logging in to the multicast group
so that i can run my rtpMonitor.

Any pointers please ??

BTW, my network is enabled for Multicast and i am receiving the multicast
traffic.

Thanks
Satish Devarapalli
Illinois Institute of Technology