[AG-TECH] Multicast beacon questions

Tony Rimovsky tony at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 24 14:58:57 CDT 2001

Hi, David.  I have recently taken responsibility for the development
of the multicast beacon in the NLANR/DAST group.

I understand your concern about beacon scalability.  We will be
examining mechanisms such as using RTP data in order to try to lower
the overhead of using the beacon in large communities.

It is also significant to note that, for access grid Venues with large
numbers of senders such as the Lobby (224.2.177.155), you can see much
higher packet rates for the group.  There are 37 multicast sources in
the Lobby right now, and packet rates for the sources currently range
from 0 - 270 pps.  Eyeballing rates in that group, it looks like
active senders are averaging around 300 Kbit/s.  The 270 pps source is
generating ~2 Mbit/s.  You probably want to make sure your networking
folks know that the AG does generate a bit of traffic.  I think the
planning number is 1 Mbit/s per active site in a Venue.

By comparison, each beacon is sending ~5 Kbit/s into the beacon group.
The aggregate utilization of beacon traffic for the access grid beacon
isn't much more than the range of a single video source, even at
todays high level of usage w/in the access grid community.

Tony Rimovsky
Director, Networking Division
tony at ncsa.edu