[AG-TECH] Multicast beacon questions

Marty Hoag Marty.Hoag at NDSU.NODAK.EDU
Wed Oct 24 13:12:37 CDT 2001

   Others have mentioned "beacons gone bananas" before but I've never
been able to observe it by checking the mroute counts on our router.
I did that just now (show ip mroute 233.2.171.1 count) and noticed:

  Source: 129.24.244.135/32, Forwarding: 184666232/351/21/255, Other:
184668340/2106/2

which comes back to sagnvideo.ahpcc.unm.edu .

In the past I've heard some es-net folks attribute this behavior to one
of the Australian beacons too but this was the only one I saw like that
today.  Most of the rest were 9 or 10 packets/second as expected (our
local one was higher too but only on the local router so I suspect that
is other stuff going on there).  I checked at the Abilene Indianapolis
router (IPLS on http://loadrunner.uits.iu.edu/~routerproxy/abilene/ )
and got similar results.

   In the past I've always attributed this to the "if you are looking
at multicast you are going to see lots of it" effect. ;-)  I mean if
you were receiving all 100 beacons at 10 packets/second each that
would be 1000 packets/second.  But it does look like something odd
is going on.

   Maybe Jeff or John can let us know what they find.  Marty